Financial Options

Many women experiencing domestic violence and abuse believe or have been told by the perpetrator that there is nowhere for them to go. They may also believe that, if they leave, they will become homeless and have no income. This is not true, and if you need to get away to safety, there are a number of things that you are entitled to, including a basic income for yourself and your children.

For information about your income entitlements, we recommend that you contact a domestic violence support service, such as West Cork Women Against Violence Project or your local Citizens Information Service.

The HSE through Community Welfare Officers administers:
•    Supplementary welfare allowance
•    Rent supplement
•    Emergency payments

The following are paid by Social Welfare:
•    Lone parents payment
•    Children’s allowance
•    Unemployment benefit/assistance
•    Social Welfare payments

From The Courts
Making an application for a Maintenance Order may be important when applying to the Department of Social Protection for One Parent Family Payment.  Maintenance order.